Fleur de Sel, Hedda Gabbler, and the freedom to be wrong

So we went to Fleur de Sel for lunch for restaurant week, and it was awesome. I would love to do more during restaurant week, but they often have the deals only for lunch service, and not at all on the weekend. Some places are doing 3 course recession specials on an ongoing basis, or doing pre-theatre specials, if you are seated before 6:30. All worth checking out...

We saw Hedda Gabbler at the Roundabout Theatre and man, did it stink. I do like Mary Louise Parker, but the play seems so unremittingly bleak. We got discount tickets thank God, but I'm still happy I saw it - you learn as much from bad theatre as you do from good, and the actors certainly did a valiant job. Can't wait to see William H Macy in Speed the Plow, apparently he's replaced Jeremy Piven until March. That play was great with Piven, but I am so excited to see it again with a new spin!

I got some headshots done this weekend, and I'm really happy with them so far. The woman was very gracious and patient, and made a huge effort to put me at ease. She also took some handsome shots of Baxter, and he's now booked for a spot on Law & Order with his headshot. Kidding, but she did get some fun shots of the kitties. I don't think I'll ever forget her out on the street with me, camera in hand, singing "oh, we got trouble, right here in river city!" and Nelly's Hot in Here. Demented sense of humour, I loved it...

School has been pretty liberating in some respects. I've learned that it's okay to suck at some things, to stumble and make mistakes. I was in dance class yesterday, and the instructor made us get up and demonstate some steps. I was counting out loud while doing them, and everyone started giggling. I told them all to simmer down, and then we had a good laugh. I don't get uptight about struggling through things as much now, and a lot of freedom comes with that. I don't turn myself inside out when my acting teacher doesn't like what I do, because we both know that this is the place to experiment and fail, and take risks, and eventually succeed. It is by far the best thing I've learned at school, or anywhere for that matter, in a long time.

No comments: